Birth Injury Attorneys for Kansas & Missouri
At Prochaska Howell & Prochaska LLC, we know that one of the most devastating events a new parent can experience is having your newborn child taken to the NICU after suffering a traumatic birth injury. Pregnancy and delivering a baby is a complex process. When a birth-related injury occurs to either the mother, child or both, it is most often caused by poor decisions made by the doctor in the delivery room. Many complications can occur during the birthing process. Speak with a birth injury attorney today.
Tell Us About Your Birth Injury Case Today
Some Serious Birth Injury Cases:
- Cerebral Palsy – a condition marked by impaired muscle coordination (spastic paralysis) and/or other disabilities, typically caused by damage to the brain before or during birth.
- Erb’s Palsy (Brachial Plexus) – a specific type of nerve injury that occurs at the time of childbirth. It occurs when the nerves of the brachial plexus are stretched too far. The brachial plexus is the group of nerves that connect the spinal cord of the neck to the nerves of the arm. The brachial plexus spans the distance of the collarbone.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) – a condition in which the brain does not receive enough oxygen during the birthing process. HIE can be fatal. Without oxygen, brain cells begin dying within five minutes.
- Forceps or Vacuum suction injuries – swelling & bruising to the brain caused by incorrect placement of the forceps, vacuum suction forceps, or a vacuum used too many times or used during a C-Section.
- Bone Fractures – a fracture occurs when the force exerted on a bone exceeds the ability of the bone to absorb the force by deforming.
- Cephalohematoma – a collection of blood under the scalp of a newborn, which is caused by pressure during birth.
A doctor may fail to respond to complications in a timely or efficient manner, which is crucial in the birthing process. Failure of a doctor to react in an appropriate manner can cause irreparable injury to the infant, mother or both. There are cases where doctors fail to detect high-risk factors before birth. Some are negligent in monitoring the baby’s vital signs and fail to detect fetal distress during labor. In other cases where a C-section is warranted, doctors delay or fail to perform surgery in spite of the complications, which results in injury to the mother and child.
The Experienced Kansas Medical Malpractice Birth Injury Attorneys at Prochaska, Howell & Prochaska LLC Have a Track Record of Vigorously Defending the Legal Rights of Our Clients.
When a child or a mother is seriously injured due to birth injury negligence, they are entitled to damages for pain, suffering, emotional distress, medical expenses and lost wages. In many cases, children with permanent brain damage need full-time care and support, which can be very expensive.
We’ve recovered substantial compensation for our clients in birth injury cases, and want to fight for justice for you and your child. We are a compassionate firm that believes in protecting your legal rights while treating you with sensitivity, dignity and the respect you deserve. Our birth injury team will fight to get you the compensation that is rightfully yours. If your child has suffered serious birth injury because of medical malpractice, you may be able to seek compensation for your losses and suffering.
To learn more about your legal rights and options, please contact the qualified and experienced Kansas medical malpractice attorneys at Prochaska Howell & Prochaska LLC for a free and confidential consultation. Our qualified staff and medical malpractice attorneys are available to answer your questions and determine the best course of action!
Read The Latest From Our Birth Injury Law Firm:
Giving birth is a delicate and complicated process that requires the utmost care of the OB/GYN to ensure the safety of both mother and infant. Due to the negligence or error of the physician, however, otherwise preventable accidents can have terrible consequences…Read More